A Message from Dr. Hicks
Dr. Davina Hicks
SONSHINE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY
September 6, 2022
Welcome back to school! We are excited to start this new school year off with a Praise to the Lord for ALL His kindness for blessing our students, faculty, and staff to stay safe over their summer breaks. I am delighted to render sincere salutations to all the new and returning families to Sonshine and extend heartfelt gratitude for entrusting your beautiful children in our care. We value your opinions and welcome your insights every third Thursday of the month during our school’s Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) meeting, under the direction of Mrs. Sherry McMillian Jones, President (firstname.lastname@example.org). Feel free to join virtually and become an active part of the positive efforts to support a memorable learning experience this year. As a reminder, children are permitted in the building no earlier than 7:10AM, and school starts promptly at 7:25AM.
Sonshine has made several updates with the student discipline processes that now include the strategic implementation of the Positive Behavioral Intervention and Support (PBIS) system. We now have Reflection Rooms at each campus, along with a school counselor, Mrs. Hannah Tremitiedi (Mrs. Trem), who is both licensed and credentialed to provide classroom and small group guidance, along with individual sessions to all students upon request. I am happy to inform you of Mrs. Trem’s commitment to the school as she has prepared a detailed letter to you with all her services that is forthcoming.
Additionally, Sonshine is happy to advise everyone of its strong dedication to the safety and security of our students, faculty, and staff with the many renovations happening at our Lenore campus: both externally with the parking lot, and internally with updated drywall, doors, and plumbing to enhance the aesthetics for a more visually stimulating environment. While these campus renovations are happening at the Lenore campus, we are happy to be able to conduct our Middle and High School learning efforts at the Mt. Hermon Baptist church, located at 2283 Sunbury Rd. We are blessed to have a partner in the community where Christian values are shared. I will keep you all updated as we move closer to the reopening of the Lenore campus. In the meantime, please take notice of the following upcoming events:
- Sonshine is hosting an Enrollment Event and will reward the first 10 families who sign-up a preschooler with Fuel Gift Cards!! Please pass the word along and come-out to enjoy the free pizza, candy-bag give-a-ways, music, and bouncy-house fun from 3:00-5:00PM at our NJCM Campus: 1763 Cleveland Ave. Columbus, OH 43211, on Saturday, July 23, 2022.
- Friends & Family Day at the NJCM Campus: Sunday, July 31, 2022, from 11:00AM-1:00PM, featuring The Avenue Voices, Special Guest Speaker, Dr. Harold Hudson, and more! Join us for an awesome Praise and Worship experience with the entire family!
- Thursday, August 18, 2022, from 6-8PM: Parent Orientation at the Lenore Ave. Campus (grades 6th-10th)
- Friday, August 19, 2022, from 6-8PM: Parent Orientation at the NJCM Campus (grades PreK-5th)
- Monday, August 22, 2022: First Day of School (both campuses) @ 7:25AM-2:30PM.
- Thursday, August 25, 2022: Virtual PTO Meeting
|Thur., 9/8 ∙ 1:30-2:30PM||Doughnuts with Dad||NJCM Campus in cafeteria|
|Fri., 9/9 ∙ 1:30-2:30PM||Muffins with Mom||NJCM Campus in cafeteria|
|Sat., 9/10 ∙ 9AM-12PM||Walk-A-Thon hosted by SCA PTO||Linden Park: all are welcome!|
|Mon., 9/12 ∙ 1:30-2:30PM||Goodies with Grandparents||NJCM Campus in cafeteria|
|Fri., 9/16 ∙ 4-6PM||Girls & Boys Basketball Informational Meeting||Mt. Hermon Campus in gym|
|Fri., 9/23 ∙ 4-5PM||Cheerleading Sports Informational Meeting||NJCM Campus in cafeteria|
|Thurs., 9/29 ∙ 7:30-8:30||PTO Virtual Meeting||All Parents/Guardians are welcome|
|Fri., 9/30 ∙ 6-8PM||All School Skating Party||Skate Zone 71|
Finally, please remember to submit all student t-shirt sizes to the main office for SCA gym attire to be ordered (every student will receive an SCA shirt after $150 enrollment payment is received). Please review the enclosed Billing Statement and upcoming events flier. Thank you again for continued prayers and support.
In the Service of the King,
Dr. Davina Hicks, MBA, PhD